Our General Policy for User Privacy
Last Updated: Nov. 12, 2014
Scroll down for full Statement. Immediately below is a summary of the information we collect and the ways in which we use and/or disclose it. Please read our full policy BELOW THE SUMMARY.
Summary of Privacy Statement
- Our website is directed to general audiences over 18 years of age and who are capable of entering into binding obligations. Read More. . .
- We collect personal information you provide to us. By personal information we mean information that is identifiable to you or to a particular device, such as name, address, and email address. Read More. . .
We may collect information automatically such as navigational information.
Read More. . .
- We generally use your personal information to respond to your inquiries, to provide information to you, and to improve our services. Read More. . .
- We may disclose information to third parties, such as affiliate organizations, service providers, when under legal compulsion, or as otherwise allowed by law. Read More. . .
- We attempt to implement reasonable security procedures to protect your information, and we try to contract with vendors who do the same. Read More. . .
- We may link to third party sites. Read More. . .
- We keep your personal information for as long as we believe we need it, and for as long as the law allows us to keep it. Read More. . .
- You can access and make changes to your personal information under certain circumstances. Read More. . .
- How we notify you of changes to the Privacy Statement. Read More. . .
- You may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Read More. . .
UWSEM recognizes the importance of protecting information we may collect from visitors to our Site. Our policy is to use the information we collect from visitors to our sites for internal purposes only, and we strive to maintain reasonable and appropriate security measures to keep this information private.
Users can visit the site without providing us with any personal information. If one chooses to give us personal information via the Internet for the purposes of, for example, correspondence, processing an order, or providing a subscription to a publication, then it is our intent to let you know how we will use such information. Our policy for collecting and maintaining personal information is provided below.
By “personal information,” we mean information that is reasonably identifiable to you or a particular device.
Personal information UWSEM collects includes personal information you provide voluntarily. If you place an order, sign up to volunteer, request to receive a newsletter, or otherwise interact with us via the Site, we may request personal information such as, for example, your name, address, email address, and phone number. If you choose to contact us via email, website-enabled chat features, or other means, the information you provide may constitute personal information.
You may have the opportunity to conduct financial transaction using the Site, such as donations or registration fees. Please note that we do not collect sensitive credit card information that may be processed in connection with your donations made in connection with the Site. We outsource processing of personal information, including credit card information, you provide in connection with donations made through the Site to third-party vendors which we understand to be compliant with appropriate standards, including Payment Card Industry standards for security.
- We use personal information collected on the Site for the following purposes:
- To respond to inquiries from users
- To provide information about the proper use or misuse of the Site.
- To process technical or administrative issues or to communicate regarding those issues.
- To improve, expand, or otherwise adjust our services.
- To comply with applicable law, including law related to charitable donations.
There are also circumstances in which we may share or transfer your personal information, which are discussed below.
There are circumstances where we will transfer and/or disclose your personal information to third parties. Those circumstances, subject to the limits of applicable law, are as follows:
- Affiliate and Partner Organizations: UWSEM may transfer personal information to its affiliate and partner organizations for purposes related to UWSEM service offerings as such offerings may change and develop over time.
- Site Consultants and Service Providers: UWSEM may transfer personal information to third-party service providers, including those that may be hosting or housing data on behalf of UWSEM or otherwise acting on its behalf as a data center (such as providers of hosting, cloud, technology outsourcing and support services). Additionally, USWEM may disclose personal information to the extent that our service providers require access to our databases, or the information contained in our databases, to service UWSEM and the Site.
- Donor Recognition: UWSEM may share donor information for recognition and awards purposes, if requested to do so by the donor.
- Legal Compulsion and UWSEM’s Protection: UWSEM reserves the right to release personal information in response to a subpoena or otherwise when we reasonably believe that the law requires us to do so or when we believe it is necessary to protect and/or enforce the rights, property interests, or safety of UWSEM, our users, customers or others.
- As Otherwise Allowed by Law: We may transfer personal information to third parties where we are expressly authorized by applicable law to do so.
Cookies were originally designed to help a web site distinguish a user's browser as a previous visitor and thus save and remember any preferences that may have been set while the user was browsing the site. If you are just browsing UWSEM's web site, a cookie identifies only your browser. It is possible to set your browser to inform you when a cookie is being placed - this way, you have the opportunity to decide whether to accept the cookie. If you are just browsing our site and are not a registered user, you do not have to accept a cookie and you can still continue browsing the site. However, if you are visiting a site where you will be accessing a confidential account, you must accept that site's cookies because they are essential for site administration and security.
How does the Site respond to “Do Not Track” requests from a user’s browser?
Users may have the option of enabling a feature in their web browsers called “Do No Track” in their browsers, which sends a signal to websites that the user does not want to be tracked across multiple websites. UWSEM does not track users across multiple websites, regardless of whether users have enabled “Do Not Track.”
Does UWSEM use personal information for third-party advertising purposes?
No, UWSEM does not share your personal information with third-party advertisers.
Although we cannot guarantee that our or our vendors’ servers are impenetrable, we have attempted to establish and implement reasonable physical, electronic, and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online. Where we use outside vendors to collect, store, or process data, we attempt to use vendors who also establish and implement reasonable procedures.
The Site may link to third-party sites. When using third-party sites (for example, sites that take credit cards or otherwise process transactions), you should review the privacy policies of such third-party sites to understand how they collect and use personal information.
UWSEM keeps personal information for as long as we deem it useful to use, and for as long as applicable law allows us to maintain it.
Site users have the right to request that their information be modified or deleted from our files. We will attempt to honor these requests, subject to applicable law and our judgment that the information is not important for us to maintain for our internal record-keeping purposes. Requests to modify or delete personal information should be directed to email@example.com.
To prevent unauthorized access, maintain data accuracy, and to ensure the appropriate use of information, we have put in place appropriate physical, electronic, and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect. UWSEM uses SSL encryption for all financial transactions to protect personal information.
If you provide an email address or other personal information (excluding financial information) when you visit our site, we may enter such information into one of our data bases so we can contact you to ask your input, provide information about our programs and events, and request contributions. All electronic communications from us do contain a link to a unsubscribe form a\nd you may elect to unsubscribe from any or all of our communications at any time.
The only exception is "Comments" which are posted publicly using a link to the user's Facebook or other social media profiles.